Saturday, September 13, 2008

The birthday / The driver's license

Yes my friends. Today, I got my driver's license. The King can now legally (with minor restrictions for 2 years) drive his own ass around town without guidance.

I kept my test a secret because I didn't want extra pressure. Being 35, I feel more pressured than if I would be 17. Call me silly, I don't care :-P

The above picture shows me and my instructor, Chris Fisher (also Olympic runner for Australia in Munich, 1972). Thanks Chris!

This is what I need to display now. Bye bye L, hello P.

I scored 90 points out of 100. I lost 8 points because the examiner didn't see me look in the rear-view mirror enough. I'll not argue this but I have doubts as to how well he can actually judge that. If it wasn't for this I'd have 98/100. He said that apart from the rear-view mirror thing I was totally a very good driver.

For lunch and birthday celebrations Nicole and I went to the Uleybury winery again. The view from their parking.

The food here is of exceptional quality. This is our starter. The prosciutto was so fresh and soft it felt like having fluffy wool between your fingers. The Rosé wine was excellent.

I told them it was my birthday. Apart from the fact that my wine was free, while nibbling away on our little platter all of the sudden all three adorable waitresses on duty showed up holding a sliced sausage (traditional Italian and freshly made by main waitress' father) with a candle in it and they sang me "Happy birthday". We were so stunned that we forgot to take pictures. It was just the nicest thing they did. We only started remembering making pictures again once half the sausage was gone...

This was the view during our lunch.

These lovely people are Salvatore, Natalie and their brother who's name I don't know but who makes THE best pizza's in the world. They run the place together with their mum(English) and dad(Italian).

And this is the cellar door. A "cellar door" is a place where you can taste and buy wine.

It was a fantastic day. Thanks to Nicole who thought of going there and the people at Uleybury I had a most memorable birthday.

And in the evening I Skyped with my parents for the obligatory birthday chat. It was nice talking with them again.

13 comments:

marian said...

hello very good driver!! (a hope so) leuke foto's,een gezellig restaurant, het eten ziet er goed uit. gr ma

Unknown said...

HEy Vincent, ook nog gefeliciteerd van mij, voor je verjaardag en je rijbewijs. Lijkt er op dat het halen van een rijbewijs heel wat gemakkelijker (qua stress en organistaties) is.

GrGerrit

Unknown said...

Gefeliciteerd Vincent! Uiteraard met je verjaardag vandaag, maar vooral met het behalen van je rijbewijs (dat is toch iets moeilijker dan jarig zijn...)

Groetjes vanuit een kil miezerig Nederland..

Marco

Vincent said...

@ ma: Het eten is fantastisch. Wanneer jullie weer hier zijn nemen we jullie er zeker mee naar toe.

@ The G: Dank je. Het is eenvoudiger en VEEL goedkoper. Het heeft me in totaal nog geen 300 euro gekost.

@ Marco: Dank je wel :-) Ik hoop dat jullie nog een fatsoenlijke na-zomer krijgen. Misschien kan ik wat zon jullie kant opsturen want het begint hier al aardig te zomeren terwijl de lente net is begonnen!

Unknown said...

Ach, ik mag niet klagen. Ik ben net terug van 2 weken vakantie op Sardinië. Ik kwam bijna zwartgeblakerd terug. Maar nu ik weer in NL terug ben, valt het alleen zo vies tegen.

Groetjes, Marco

munchie said...

Happy birthday mate!

And congratulations on the driver's license too. That's excellent news.

Now you just need to get yourself a Holden Commodore and you will be practically an Australian citizen.

kees said...

Nog vele jaren en ook natuurlijk gefeliciteerd met het halen van je rijbewijs.

Nu nog een Ferrari aanschaffen met vanity tags... Of krijg je die voor je verjaardag van Nicole?

Friðvin said...

Personally, and feel free to call me weird, but I think it's more important when driving to be looking AHEAD, not so much in the rear-view mirror. Whatever. I look in the mirror when I'm stopped at lights to be sure some asshole isn't going to hit me at 40 mph. Not that I could do anything about it but that would be an ugly surprise.

Anonymous said...

Hieperdepiep...

Gefeliciteerd met je b-day en met je rijbewijs (ik begin zelf binnen nu en 2 weken).

Hugz,
Jolanda

Anonymous said...

Wow! Je rijbewijs! Gaaf en in 1 keer, goed!! Leuk dat je hem op je verjaardag hebt gehaald, staat leuk op je rijbewijs;-)

Dubbel gefeliciteerd van ons:-))

Vincent said...

@ Marco: Dat klinkt erg goed. Ik zou graag meer willen zien van Italië. Tot nu toe enkel in Venetië geweest.

@ Steve: Thanks mate :-) I will NEVER drive a HC though 8-P

@ Kees: Dank je. Een Ferrari klinkt beter als een Holden Commodore ;-)

@ Kona: That's not weird at all. You look in the direction you're driving. Checking for a fenderbender could at least save you from crashing in a car infront of yours...

@ Jo: Dank je wel en succes met je eigen lessen! Een auto besturen is niet moeilijk. Het belangrijkste is dat je altijd richting aangeeft. Beter te veel dan te weinig (dus bijna elke keer als je van baan/richting verandert). En ook laten zien dat je je spiegels gebruikt. Beweeg je hoofd dus als je een spiegel in kijkt, dan kunnen ze het beter zien.

@ Ilse: Dank je, dank je :-) Ja, ik was wel blij dat het gelukt was. Anders had de dag er wellicht minder aangenaam uitgezien :-)

Sneezer said...

congratulations! Happy Birthday! did you get my card?

Vincent said...

@ SW: Yesh! I just sent you an email. Thanks! :-)