Monday, September 8, 2008

The Fruit

Walking around for lunch I passed the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. I had seen their buildings before and they are surrounded by the same secrecy as the free masons etc. I did some searching online and found out that all they are is a bunch of people agreeing that there is more than just the "earthly" stuff and that they have two weekly meetings where they discuss things they find important in an atmosphere where everybody is equal and everybody gets the same respect. But it's for men only. Women have their own fraterblah organisation. In The Netherlands I found this website. In internet backwater Australia I couldn't find websites so English speakers will have to do with this wikipedia link.

City side street.

I was on a mission to buy new fruit for our fruit bowl at work. I went to the Woolworths in Rundle Mall.

I found my target and loaded up.

The result back at work, a beautiful fruit bowl full of nice fruit.

After work it was Monday-night=P.J. O'Brien's cider-night again! The daylight stays a lot longer now and it's so much more enjoyable to walk there now.

When I walked towards the entrance I passed a pisshead outside who mumbled something "you" and "the Matrix" at me. I was wearing my brown long coat and green sunglasses. Funny. So I go in and find about 20 more pissheads all over the place being VERY loud. I sit down and order my cider. While I take my first sip, pisshead nr. one found me and sat next to me. He must've thought I was Keanu Reeves.

He wanted the obligatory tough guys handshake (I hate it, I like a normal handshake as a greeting and that's it. I'm not impressed with that blokey handshaking at all) and then started to talk to me. I told him I was Dutch and he was VERY quick reminding me of the aussies beating Holland 2-1 last weekend. Thankfully I reminded him of who Australia's couch du jour (Pim Verbeek I believe) is and told him "See, Holland won after all).

I informed with the bar staff if they thought those guys were leaving soon. They replied with "Yes, because we just cut them off". Excellent, I thought. However they kept hanging around and whining for more beer. One guy started to get a little unfriendly so the barman called the coppers. By the time they arrived they were all outside already because their transport had arrived. The nice quietness of the Monday night had returned.

guys from the Munno Para soccer club celebrating whatever. They were completely off their faces and staff had just decided to cut them off.

2 comments:

Gledwood said...

maybe I think I better join that club...

Vincent said...

I wonder if you could. According to what I read I think you meet their requirements. They should treat you as any other person and I'm sure you'll have lots of personal things to share with them. They might be in for a bit of a shock though ;-)

I read they have an open house session every so often where you could walk in.