Sunday, October 3, 2010

My big bicycle ride.

(Click to enlarge)
I went for a big bicycle ride today.

Crossing the first bridge on my way out of Amsterdam.

Crossing the second bridge.

View from the second bridge.

Soon I was "in the wild". I made first contact with a cow. It was wiiiiiiiiild man. She just kept staring at me like I was.... alien.

Then I arrived in a town called Durgerdam. I tested the local hotel for food. I think I'll bring my own next time...

The town is old and has some nice old buildings.

All the houses are basically along the shore.



I think everybody there owns about 3 boats.

Durgerdam harbour.

A bit further there were also horses. Hadn't seen any for a while.

I then continued cycling on to a dyke. Wind in my back, it was fantastic. The smell, the warmth of the sun, the sound of the waves. All awesome.

The lake.

I saw this pole.

Parked my bike against it...

--- and went down the dyke to just sit and stare at the water.

I made a short movie while I was there. You may want to turn your sound down because the wind was kinda.... fierce.

Then I cycled more land inwards.

I discovered a little village called "Holysloot". I need to ask people about that name coz "Holy" is not a Dutch word to my knowledge...

There were sheep as well.

One of them tried out for Holland's got talent in this movie I made. I don't think she'll make it...

Then I drove on to ehm... some other town which name eludes me right now.

Town hall?

I wonder if my colleague Sylvester knows this but the little village where he lives is not the only one with a church without tower-top. Or whatever you call that.

Nice looking church though.

I was getting closer to civilization again...

I think the guy on the left is carrying a packet of milk on the back of his bike. How Dutch can you get? The girl on the right was more attractive thankfully.

And crossing the bridge back in to town again.

It was a lovely, lovely ride. Sitting at the water was very, very nice. I think I'll do it again if I have the chance.

8 comments:

marian said...

mooi he, ons hollands landschap, water, zon en wind, wat wil je nog meer, geniet er van!!

Unknown said...

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holysloot

Unknown said...

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransdorp

Vincent said...

@ Gerrit: Thanks mate. I checked out the links, very nice bits of info :-)

Ilse said...

Ja,als je buiten amsterdam noord gaat kijken, kom je mooie dingen tegen hoor. Bij Landsmeer is een heel mooi natuurgebied, ' t Twiske genaamd. Daar moet je eens heengaan, zeker de moeite waard!

ErnstFietst said...

Mijn tochtje van zaterdag, ook leuk:

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/103219

Vincent said...

@ Ert: Ik ken je niet maar.... goed gedaan hoor. Nu nog op een chopper ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Vincent, if I see those beautiful photo's it makes me home sick. I bet you had a good time in the polder.
Did you see the world champions ship
bike races in our Geelong?
VGR Ruud