Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Medieval Vaison la Romaine

Today I walked to the medieval part of Vaison la Romaine, which was build on the hill top. It's beautiful already while approaching on foot.

Everything was build right on top of the rocks.

The Roman bridge.

Little tower.

I spotted this kinda hidden alley. The entrance was in a corner that easily went unnoticed by many. It was a dead end but it still had front doors.

I sat down in the shade towards the end of the alley. Because it was quite high there was a lovely cool breeze which was very welcome on this hot day!

From here you could see the whole lower part of the town, including the bridge.


A house nearby had a hole in the outer wall where a bird of prey had a nest. I caught it flying in bringing lunch, which was a lizard or something...

When I continues walking I saw that a lot of the old houses had lovely doors. There will be more door-pictures ;-)

I loved, loved, loved discovering all the little streets. I walked through each and every one of them.


There were squares as well, some tiny but it would still have a fountain...

The facades were beautiful.

Another square.

Awesome front door.

Knocker.

This front is beautiful in its own way. It's kinda weird because I think the grape is actually dead. The whole place looks a bit grim.

Then I arrived at a little square in front of a little church.

The church.

It actually looked awesome from the inside. It was very quiet and peaceful. I found it amazing that so few tourists were up here. I felt like I was really discovering hidden gems ;-)






Every corner of this little church had something beautiful to discover. What a wonderful place!

Then it was up, up, up the hill to get to the ruines. There is no street or anything, you have to walk the rocky path that the knights walked as well. How authentic can it get?

Here I was not the only tourist. Unfortunately the castle was closed to public...

I could see the camping from here :-)

Then I continued walking through the other side of the medieval town and I discovered its biggest square, which was still not big actually but it did have a big tree in the middle and of course, a lovely fountain. I loved it so much here! The colours, the light, the shade, the peace and quiet. Nothing but the soft splattering of the fountain and the wind rustling the leaves of the tree. And the occasional bird song. I can't often enough say how I love places like this. Fantastic to have been here. To just stand here in silence and enjoy the music for my eyes.

And there were a few more doors ;-)

Visiting this part of Vaison la Romaine was the highlight of this year's vacation for me. It was definately the most wonderful thing I have seen during these two weeks!

No comments: