Monday, August 18, 2008

The emergency

In the morning the fire alarm went off. Stupid fire alarm. Then a voice came on telling us to stay put and that they were going to investigate the cause. This in particular is an improvement because that way the building doesn't get cleared when some dick upstairs is making toasties again.

However, two minutes later the voice came back on telling us to get the fuck out because there was an emergency. I'm not sure how I feel about this business because I could've been killed by the emergency in those two minutes. You know? What if God-bloody-zilla is tearing the place apart or something?

Btw, in the picture are my colleagues (left to right) Melvin, Buddy, Steve, Dale, Mark and Hoang. Including myself there were seven people with a total of five first generation nationalities. I think that's very cool.

Anyway, we leisurely strolled downstairs and walked to the assembly point. Well, that's what we thought. Actually we walked completely the wrong way where no one would come warn us for anything. Including to let us know if it was just a drill...
After 15 minutes in the sun we thought it was enough. We didn't see any smoke and also the fire services didn't show up so we walked back. At least we learned where the assembly point is because it was mentioned on a big fat sticker right next to the door we all walked out through. We saw it when we came back.. Giggity giggity goo.

After work I walked to P.J. O'Brien's. Before crossing the street I had a clear view in to Rundle Street.

At P.J's they were showing the Olympics on the big screen.

And there were flags on the bar. I sat down under the Dutch one. Next to the Dutch flag was the Croatian and next to that the Irish. Good stuff.

Nicole during our session of fine dining.


And last but not least! I've been wanting to put this up for a while but I kept forgetting. It's a fantastic video of Bert and Ernie doing some dope gangsta rappin':

3 comments:

kees said...

Tell P.J. the Dutch flag is upside-down! The red should be on the same side as on the Croatian one.
The way it is hung now makes it look like the Serbian flag...

CRAIG said...

Coincidence the Croatian and Dutch flags next to each other!

That happened at my office too---fire arlarms went off, we all filed down the steps, everyone was walking so damn slow, talking so loud and laughing down the steps thinking it's just another drill.....they we get to the bottom and told to go back up because it was "in error" the alarms sounding. AND THEN we learn that one of the big-computer-thingies the size of a commercial refrigerator actualy caught fire!

I get really pissed that the people I work with doon't take fire drills seriously, especially after the building really caught fire once before.

If there's a real fire one day it's going to be Craig-for-myself as I push and shove my way past a bunch of women swapping recipes and coparing nail polish color

Vincent said...

@ Kees: Just look at it from the other way ;-P

@ Craig: Yeah, I do think people should take it seriously. At least everybody from my office actually walks out. I always stay behind a bit to make sure everybody I know was inside is going out.