Saturday, January 24, 2009

The block occupancy detector

This was my main event for today (picture in Dutch). I'm looking into different pieces of electronics that I will need for my model railroad. This particular piece is a block occupancy detector. It will send a signal to a computer or other controlling device to let it know the stretch of rail it's attached to is occupied by a train. That way you can prevent another train from entering that block (also called 'section').

I have ordered parts for this at an Australian online electronics shop. Let's hope it works. For my test track I need about 14 or 16. For the coffee table track that I will eventually build I will probably need 5 times more....

PS: I didn't design this myself but I do try and understand how it works, which I do now.

No comments: