Monday, January 12, 2009

Digital Model Railroading

Luuuuuuuuuunch. Recently I keep seeing different people washing their face, hair and/or feet in this fountain. Hmmmmmm.

After work I took the tram down to a model railroad shop called Orient Express.

Ugly English trains.

Pretty non-English/American/Australian train.

I bought this set from Roco. It's a DIGITAL start set. It's all about the DIGITAL bit. I will use this to further investigate how that stuff works so that I can use it to build my coffee-train table.

I waited outside for Nicole to pick me up and was visited by a mosquito twice.

At home we heard on the news that America is trying even harder to know more about people visiting their country now. You have to fill in a form online as well now.

They are very clever because on their form they ask if you are a terrorist. And if you check 'yes', they will not allow you to enter their country. That way, the American people can feel safe and secure and sleep well at night.

Sweet dreams, America.

At home I opened the box to see what the treasure contained exactly. It holds one locomotive, four carriages, a lot of track and of course the digital equipment.

Why digital?
Digital model railroad control allows you to have multiple trains driving on your track at the same time with different speeds. Also you can let them breaks and drive off in a natural way. And also you can make the lights stay on when they are not moving. There are a lot more advantages that are too complicated to explain on this simple blog :-)

This is my first decoder equipped, digital locomotive.

10 comments:

kees said...

"There are a lot more advantages that are too complicated to explain on this simple blog"

Will you explain in more detail on the Creative Blog?

Vincent said...

@ Kees: Maybe. Not for now. All the advantages have to do with more realistic driving (like breaking and driving off), more control over speed esp. at lower speeds, not having to change the power on the track to change driving direction, being able to drive two locomotives in tandem or in the same 'block'.

I'm going to create a new bit of test track, now with digital control. When I actually build stuff, I'll update my creative blog.

I'm very excited :-)

Anonymous said...

About the America stuff, the waiver you filled on on board now has to be filled in online. That way they can check you up front. But they already did that anyway through information provided by the airline company so it's nothing new :-) With the annual trips to the USA the last 7 years I guess I'm getting used to their drama.
It's value for 2 years so I filled in my form online yesterday, ready to go to New York City :-) Which won't happen till 10 Sept :-(

Jo

Vincent said...

OK, that at least is good coz I hate that filling in shit on board. Asking people if they committed genocide is the biggest crock of shit I have ever heard of though. I would love to see NYC but I'm not sure I want to leave my fingerprint behind there...

Jolanda said...

It's not only the genocide, they also ask if you were involved in Nazi activities between 1933 and 1945. I have no idea if all this is new, if they just added it to the waiver. I know I always have to fill in 'No' cause one 'Yes' and you cannot enter.
The fingerprint is not new, that's there for 3 years already I think. It's not just a fingerprint, they also take a pic with a webcam.
I always love the warm welcome on US airports :-)

Jolanda

kees said...

When I went to the US for the first time, way back in the 80's, they asked about Nazi crimes and if you were a member of the communist party on the fill-in form.

I guess that when you answer 'yes' to any of their questions your IQ is so low they don't want you in the country no matter what. Then again, maybe their IQ is so low that they ask stupid questions...

I remember going to a conference in California in the early 90s. The immigration officer asked me why I didn't go to that conference in Holland. "Because the conference is in California, you stupid twat!" I didn't say the words after the comma, ofcourse...

Anonymous said...

when i was little I remember asking my dad why all our trains looked the same he said it was british rail policy... i always thought them v boring when you could have rainbowcolour trains running about ... ugly?... can't comment on that. you saying ALL anglosaxon trains are ugly? dutch ones are really pretty then? i do recall FRENCH ones being a FAR smoother ride...

Anonymous said...

... but i don't remember them being any prettier ...

Vincent said...

@ Gled: There are roughly three types of trains (available) when it comes to model railroading:
- Australian / American
- British
- European main land

I really don't like the first two. Fair enough, British is closer to mainland euro trains than Australian / american trains but I still don't like them. Sorry :-)

CRAIG said...

....but if you lie you'll be in BIG DEEP TROUBLE. Then you get charged with two crimes, which means we can then use torture