Monday, March 8, 2010

The dodgy house

It has bloody snowed again during the night! And I was so happy it was gone...

Amsterdam has a lot of leaning houses. But it's not always bad. There are houses built like this one on purpose. This way, the higher floors have a bigger surface without paying more for the ground.

A new ship has docked with our neighbours.

After work I went to see a small apartment. It's 1/3 under ground. The description was nice and from the outside it looked good. I was excited. But then... I went in and it felt smaller than 40 square meters. I took my tape measure and after measuring it seems to only be 34 square meters tops. The garden is s'posed to be 20. But I reckon it's about 10. I don't fit in the shower. The door is 60cm wide and that big front windows does NOT open. The broker said it was very safe. Yeah, how the fuck is anybody supposed to move in?... I touched all the walls to feel if they were wet and to hear how solid they were (or not). There was a dodgy spot. The garden was a mess. Cotton buds and empty shampoo bottles. The ceiling had no electricity points for lamps. In the bathroom, the wall was opened, tiles gone because the owner who is now in Turkey apparently tried to fix a leak himself.

To top it all off. When walking to the tram stop I noticed wet paint on my fingers that I used to touch the walls. They had been touching shit up before I came.

All in all I felt bad energy in there and it looked dodgy as hell. And they are selling 60 square meters but really it's 44. And that for 175,000 euros.

Needless to say, it's not gonna happen.

3 comments:

angeli said...

We were looking on Funda the other day and came across a really nice flat on the simonszstraat. Not sure if it's in your price range, but it has a nice feel and you could put your own "stamp" on it:
http://www.funda.nl/koop/amsterdam/appartement-74839716-fokke-simonszstraat-67-c/

It's been on the market for 5 months so you could probably talk them down to a better price.

Good luck with the flat hunting. I remember how difficult it was to find affordable housing in NL.

Vincent said...

@ Angeli: That's a bit too expensive for me... But great place!

Ilse said...

Wat een bedrog zeg. Dus aanmerkelijk kleiner dan wat de advertentie zegt. En die achterplaats... ik zag de foto en dacht toen al dat het kleiner zou zijn dan 20 m2.
Nouja, jammer en rustig verder zoeken zou ik zeggen. Succes met je speurtocht.