Thursday, January 17, 2008

The big L

The past few days I've been doing a bit of studying. Well, you can hardly call it studying. It's more like... sharpening your common sense. I did lots of example tests for my drivers theory-test online (http://www.raa.net/page.asp?TerID=192 - click "multiple choice questions" for a good laugh) and thought that today I'd give it a go so we went to the office and lined up.

I found out where those magical license plates come from! I have to get one of myself one day. It will say "KING". Or "K1NG" or "THE KING", you get the drift. Oh, what about "UR KING"? ;-)

Anyway, I did the 8 "give way" questions. Can't make any mistakes there otherwise you have to pay $20 and try again! (nice of em eh?) I passed them so I was allowed to do the other 42 questions (multiple choice - 32 must be correct to pass). I passed those as well with only 1 error and thus I walked out (after paying another $40 for material they gave me and my actuall license pass) with my temporary paper license. WOOHOO! Adelaide, be afraid. Be veeeeeEEEEEEeeery afraid! ;-)

I'm now allowed to learn how to drive a car when I have these stickers on my windows and a fully (normal) licensed car driver is in the seat next to me.

I went for a first testdrive tonight and it went rather well. Tried lots of starting and stopping and changing gear from 0 - 2. The car is too small for me. My right knee was killing me when I got out and my back was all sweaty...

I might have to buy a Jaguar as they are nice for tall people aparently.

The day got even better. After we came back I tested the phone and found out that the cnuts from AAPT had disconnected us, W00T! We immediately called Telstra to hook us up coz god forbid we delay our internet any longer, and they're sending a technician here next thursday.

Lets keep our fingers crossed!

9 comments:

Friðvin said...

Nicole doesn't look happy. :lol:

Congrats on the driving test. Just don't be taking pictures while you are driving!

How tall are you? I'm about 185.5 cm (had to look that up on a conversion chart!). I used to have small cars and was always uncomfortable --especially after a long drive. My last uncomfortable car was a Saturn. When I moved to Austin I leased an Infiniti I30 which was so much better for me, and then about 7 years ago got a BMW 330i and replaced it with the same model in 2003 and I'm still driving that one. It's still a fairly small car by American standards but still very comfortable for my height and has good back support as well.

Back in the 80s I paid about $3,000 for a 530i and that was probably the most comfortable car I've ever owned. I'm very thankful my current car is paid off since I'm unemployed, I'd hate to risk losing it if I could not afford payments.

Friðvin said...

I should clarify: the 530i was a 1978 model which I got around 1988 and it already had over 100,000 miles on it, and the paint was coming off. That's why it was so cheap, but it was still comfortable.

Anonymous said...

Hey, gaaf man! Je gaat autorijden, super! Veel succes en doe voorzichtig.

Sneezer said...

L for Lucky you didnt already learn to drive on the left!

kees said...

If you get a large car Nicole will have to learn how to drive while wearing stilts...

marian said...

geweldig dat je nu gaat lessen, zullen we toch nog beleven dat je ons rond rijd in Adelaide!!
heel veel succes en doe voorzichtig met dat linkse verkeer!!

groetjes pa en ma.

Nicole said...

KONA - I think it was a look of shock, disbelief and anxiety. Shocked that we finally got rid of the AAPT company, disbelief that I got through to Telstra after waiting only 1.5 minutes and anxiety wondering if they could finally REALLY hook us up.


KEES - I might have to fly back very quickly just to smack you! LOL

kees said...

You could get the magical plate "LPLATE", which will give you fun for years to come.

Vincent said...

@ Kona: She did a lot of the talking to them. She wasted at least 8 hours of her life on them, sad.

I am 193cm (6'4"). A friend of ours who is even taller than me drives Jaguars and BMW's (and vans). Maybe I should look at one of those.

@ Ilse: Dank je. Het ging best goed maar m'n knie deed ontzettend pijn toen ik uitstapte. Is nu weg gelukkig.

@ Sn33Z0r: You mean on the right. Yeah, I think that's an advantage although I am used to 'being' on the right side in traffic. Even on bicycles or mopeds or as a passenger you get used to it. But you adapt pretty quick I must say (except when crossing a street).

@ Kees: this comment will be dealt with by Nicole *grin*

@ Ma: Ik jullie rondrijden? Ik ben geen taxi! ;-) Ik rijd nog niet op de weg hier. Nouja, niet in "het verkeer". Daarvoor wil ik eerst wat basis zaken goed onder de knie hebben.