Monday, April 7, 2008

The Larg's bay fishies

I really wanted to have a swim. Since today may be one of the last warmer ones for the next months we went to Larg's bay.

Larg's jetty from the water for a change. Notice the HUGE mountain of dead seaweed washed ashore. It came up to our knees while walking in and out of the water.

I am still very happy with the diving gear my ex-colleagues gave me. Today I actually had a good snorkel. I wore the goggles tighter than last time and there was hardly any water coming in so I could stay down very long. Also I figured out how to make the airpipe stand up properly so I wasn't choking all the time.

Nicole came in as well.

Larg's jetty the other way.

There was an incredible amount of dust, sand and what not in the water unfortunately.

Under the jetty is where you find the fishies. Rather big ones too. I don't know what kind they are. The stupid thing is that there are always a lot of people fishing from the jetty throwing their hooks far away from the jetty but the fish are right underneath! I reckon if I had a spear I could have brought some home. I rather photograph them though.

Here's one coming right at me. See that killer look in his eyes?

Side view. Hmmmmm. Obviously I need to get the quality better next time...

Close-up of a jetty-pole with a yellow tag.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heb je een onderwatercamera? Hadden jullie die nou gekocht, of heb je de vissen vanaf boven water gefotografeerd.? Ik vind het wel gaaf om ze zo te zien zwemmen. Voel je ze niet langs je benen? Dat lijkt me best eng. En zie je met je duikbril en snorkel nog gekleurde vissen?

Vincent said...

@ Ilse: Ja, die hebben we gekocht toen we naar Perth gingen. Het is een Olympus u790SW. Die kan 3 meter onder water en je kan 'm ook op de grond laten kletteren maar die test stellen we zo lang mogelijk uit.

Vissies blijven op een veilige afstand. Ze zijn niet onwijs bang maar je kan ze niet aanraken als je dat zou willen, ze zijn erg snel.

Door een duikbril zie je onder water net als boven water, het is echt heel gaaf. Het water was vandaag alleen erg "stoffig" door een ruwe zee de laatste tijd.

En dus, ja, als een vis mooie kleurtjes heeft zie je die :-)

Anonymous said...

dit is dus niet zo'n aussie zeestrandplekding waar witte haaien rond zwemmen :) hoop ik.

Jo

Gledwood said...

It does look a gerzillion times better than any British seashore haha! Or Dutch come to think of it. And we here have Irish Seas, Atlantic Ocean currents, la Manche plus the grotty old North Sea full of depleted cod. Yurk!!

;->...

Vincent said...

@ Jo: Er zijn heel af en toe witte haaien hier. Er zijn wel eens mensen aangevallen. Maar meestal zijn dat dommerikken die gaan zwemmen of surfen terwijl er een haai-alarm is. Elke dag vliegt er een vliegtuigje tig keer op en neer langs het strand om te controleren op haain dus je zou het moeten weten. De meeste haaien zitten op andere plekken gelukkig dus er is niet vaak een haai hier.

@ Gled: True. I was never too big a fan of Dutch beach. It's nice when there's a storm though.

Anonymous said...

Cool man! Een onder watercamera! Jammer dat het die dag een beetje troebel was..

Anonymous said...

Hierboven was ik..