Sunday, July 27, 2008

Trains and chocolate

I wanted to check out a "swap meeting" organised by a model railroad club 45 minutes driving away from us on the other side of town. It was at "163 Old South Road". We looked it up on Google maps and it was on the right of a crossing. So we drive there but we can't find nr. 163 at the spot Google maps indicated. Weird shit. We parked and check it out on foot. I recognised a shed from their website. It was NOT in between nr. 161 and 165. It was actually on the OTHER side of the bloody intersection, on the EVEN numbered side too! Backwards shit.

After paying $2 each and listening to a woman speaking in tongues giving me a flyer for their next swap meeting we entered the "swap meet area", woohoo! There were about 12 tables selling crap trains of the wrong scale (it was H0, I have N) and apart from that it was all f*cking ugly American shit. I was done checking out the tables in 3 minutes.

This was the track that the "club" was proudly working on.

I would qualify this as "average". But, it makes these people happy and that's good. Let's not bitch at the whole thing too much.

Outside there was a nice old-timer parked and I wanted to photograph it on the way out. It was gone...

I took this photo for all our clairvoyant readers. I think going here would have been a hell of a lot more interesting. And I'm not even kidding. Actually, I could have my own stand there and do some kick-ass drum healing apparently :-)

I remembered we needed bird seed so we quickly hopped in to the Woolies where we parked. I found the Flake "Dark" that are so hard to find! And pretty soon it will be harder coz they are clearing them. Bastards. I bought six and on the way home we visited Stephen who tipped me off on the existence of this beautiful chocolate bar and gave him three, much to his surprise. I guess this makes us "Flake Dark" brothers now hehe.

Anyway, after the train fiasco and the visit to Woolies we drove in to the hills. The second planned part of the day. We wanted to have coffee and cake in Chocolate @ No. 5 in Hahndorf again. Beautiful place.

I had a wonderful chocolate cake.

A few people have seen a ghost (at work) in this little cottage. The owner told us the story and of the experiences several people had. I reckon they should get a medium in there to say hello.

We drove homewards over the highway. They cut it straight through a hill top. Quite amazing.

This is a little trucky driving down.

At home I mounted two transistors on the heat sink for my power supply.

Word verification the Australian way whilst commenting on Nicole's blog.

5 comments:

kees said...

I think it's Google/Blogger being clairvoyant, knowing you're lying about the letting out of your belt.

Vincent said...

@ Kees: Actually, the belt is too BIG. I made two holes so I can make it tighter :-) Not that I'm losing weight though I think, it's just a big belt ;-P

kees said...

Has it stretched that it's too big now? :-)

CRAIG said...

I love FLAKE. I used to eat it when I lived in Johannesburg. You can't geet it here in the US though, well not without a major expedition. When my friends from South Africa visited, thhey brought me a big case of them! I think I ate them all in about 3 days.

Vincent said...

@ Craig: Yeah, it's good stuff eh? We have three kinds here: milk, milk luxury and dark. The luxury means it has a non flaky coating so it doesn't ehm.. flake as much. I wish they made a dark luxury version...