Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Welcome home!

We were out of bread this morning so I went to the bakery. We have two bakeries here, one right on Main North road and one left on Main North road. I went to the right one first. It was 7:30 in the morning. When I entered I noticed there wasn't any fresh bread. Just some bread rolls from the day before. So I asked the baker if he had any fresh bread. After all, bakers bake all night long so that we, the people, can have fresh bread in the morning. He looks at me all grumpy and barks "Nah, one hour!". As fucking if. See you later! Or probably not.

So it was off to the bakery on the left. Same bloody scene except that these people didn't even speak English. But I saw he had fresh loafs of white bread in the back, just not cut. I tried to ask if they had or could cut a loaf. After trying so get the general picture of a sliced loaf of bread across to the the baker's wife I gave up and told the baker himself that I'd just have the whole un-fucking-sliced loaf of bread and that's it. At least it was fresh. The guy puts it in an open bag saying "it is hot!" and hands it to me. It was hardly luke-warm but alright, it was crispy so that was nice. I paid and left.

I don't think I will ever try to get bread there again unless I happen to walk past anyway. This kind of thing just shits me to tears in the morning you know... And the thing is that sometimes when you go to the toilet at night (for which we have to walk through the garden) you can actually smell bread baking. So where is this magical bread that I can smell but not see?!?!

While cutting my bread the in-laws returned from their holiday in Croatia. It was good to see them again. We just had a little 15 minutes chat and then we went to work. Life goes on ;-)

It was beautiful and sunny during lunch so I had a Vili's pie outside in the sun. I needed the break because work was a bit frustrating today.

When I came home there was this birthday card for me. It's from Joyce and Raymond. Thanks guys! It's really nice of you to think of me and Nicole :-)

2 comments:

Friðvin said...

Happy Birthday!

Yes, I'm late.

Vincent said...

@ Kona: My birthday is Sat 13th mate. This card was just very early because it's senders are on holiday in France :-)