Thursday, November 6, 2008

The fire

It was just before 2:30 in the night and Nicole and I went to the toilet. Nothing going on outside. While I'm in the loo I hear a bang. It happens. Usually it's the wind banging metal objects against things and what not. We walk back to the flat, didn't notice anything funny. We lie down and Nicole says "I smell smoke, we have to look". So I go outside, see smoke clouds in the sky and look where they're coming from. Big fat orange glow behind the backdoor neighbours house. I hadn't heard any fire alarms yet so I thought I better quickly get my ass over there to check it out. It was the house opposite our backdoor neighbours house (so, same position as ours but one street down). A few people were already standing in the street. The house was empty and apparently got raided by the police a few months ago in a drugs investigation. Five minutes later the fire brigade arrived with two trucks and I went back to try and sleep again.

After a crap night sleep we drove past the house on our way to work. On the news the fire was announced as 'suspicious'. No shit. Nothing going on first. A bang at 2:30 exactly and big flames right after. That was timed arson. Scary.

I spent lunch time at Victoria square. It was nice.

There was a one legged pigeon. It must've been born that way coz there was no remains of a former left leg.

On my way home I caught a pretty full bus. At least I got a seat.

In the evening we visited Gianna and her parents. Gianna must have been happy to see us.

Gianna and her mom.

Nicole and Gianna.

Anna and Pasquale.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wat een sensatie!

kees said...

If the house was already empty for a few months you wonder why somebody would want to set fire to it. Maybe it is onwed by a drugs dealer and somebody wanted revenge?

In other breaking news: any decisions on VW v Mercedes?

Vincent said...

@ Kees: Insurance fraud or revenge. Possibly motorcycle-gang related. They're a bit busy lately killing each other etc. Gonna test drive the Merc tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.