Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Melbourne Cup

Today the Melbourne Cup was on. It's a world famous horse race. Actually it's several races but one of them, the longest, is the one that every Australian takes a break for.

I organised a sweep (draw, lottery, whatever you want to call it).

I also went to the gambling office for the first time in my life to bet on a horse. I was given inside information via via by a guy who would know. I was not the only one having a bit of a gamble during lunch.

I bet on horse nr. one "Septimus".

Right before the race it got a bit quiet on the streets.

At my work we had a organised lunch and we watched the race.

Septimus started off really well and was leading the first half of the race. Then dropped to second, then third. He then was overtaken by almost everybody during the last 300 metres. Half the Croatian community was betting the same after the same advice. I think someone made about 300 new enemies today ;-)

I was depressed after all this ;-) So no better place to go than Woolworths, the super market. The best place on earth to feel miserable. It was very quiet though which was nice.

When I came home I saw the little doves in the Nectarine tree. They are beautiful and they make me happy.

3 comments:

kees said...

It's not a 'world famous' race, since I had never heard of it until today.

Wereldberoemd in eigen dorp ;-)

Vincent said...

It IS world famous amongst people who know about horse racing. The horses who race here come from all over the world. Ask any of your horse-loving friends about it ;-)

Anonymous said...

Whaha, iemand heeft zeker geen vrienden gemaakt;-)

Nou, gelukkig is Obama president geworden, is er tenminste nog iets positiefs gebeurd:-))