Sunday, October 2, 2011

The extraordinary weather+cycle day

The weather was awesome. Marjolein and I went cycling with Gerrit. So once more we took the ferry to the North.

(Click to enlarge)
The meister. I've never taken it this far and while I'm writing this I'm feeling the consequences ;-) But you just have to ride with opportunities like this...

(Click to enlarge)
Leaving Amsterdam is cool. You cross underneath a bridge and suddenly you find yourself between water and fields with cows. It makes for a shocker of a return in to town though. It's almost depressing I find. Almost...

This is where I'd usually take a left and cycle a smaller round. This time we continued next to the water of the IJselmeer lake. We had a clear target for today!

There were enormous amounts of birds in the water. Never seen so many. It was mostly one kind as well.

The last stretch; the dyke that turned the island "Marken" in to a peninsula.

(Click to enlarge)
Welcome to Marken! Beh-heh-heh-heh!

(Click to enlarge)
Marjolein, Gerrit and myself. Typical Marken houses in the background. We made it. Or did we?

(Click to enlarge)
Actually the ultimate goal was to see the light house on the far end of the island. So we made a few more piccies and took off.

(Click to enlarge)
Only to run in to my mom and dad! I was too sticky to touch anybody so I'm sitting there like a bag of sand, sorry ;-P

(Click to enlarge)
But then, finally: The light house. And there was a bloody gate because it was private property. So we couldn't get any closer. There wasn't much else to do really so we had ice cream and cold water and then continued to the old town to hit a terrace.

Hitting the terrace.

I tried a new, sweet and fruity beer. Can't remember the name but I liked it a lot.

There were sparrows that ate from your hand.

The old town.

(Click to enlarge)
Who said the sun is round? I'm proving with this picture... that is is square!

We had to also cycle back and we were already getting tired. So through fields we went, ditching tractors and puddles and oncoming traffic.

This creature was sitting in the middle, right above my door when I got home.

It was an awesome, fantastically spent day. Seriously un-real weather for a second day of October.

1 comment:

marian said...

It was a beautifull day, 20kt'2011 25 degree!!!