Sunday, December 2, 2007

The bee sting

A new day, a new plate: "BANNIES". I have no clue.

Breakfast was outside today. As you can see by me wearing the sweater it was somewhat cool outside. It does cool down a fair bit in Perth, more than in Adelaide.

The dreamteam behind their house.

The dreamteam infront of their house.

After breakfast we took a walk to another view spot.

Birgitte under the shade of a tree. it makes a very nice picture I think.

When the water is low you can walk a fair bit into he river in Perth. As you can see I was walking barefoot, until I stepped on a poor little bee that had washed ashore. This was not a pleasant experience, both for me and mr. bee. Luckily the stinger wasn't stuck in my foot but for about 5 minutes it felt like a firecracker had exploded right underneath my foot. (You wonder how I know what that feels like? ;-P )

Nicole posing pretty.

In town on Sunday there were a lot of hot rods and custom cars driving around. This was the coolest one.

This one ain't bad either though...

Earlier that day I had bought myself a proper hat. I look like an explorer now but it's very nice. At least it keeps the sun off my neck, ears and nose.

Nicole now has my old hat ;-)

Ladies and gentlemen: The hatties!

Birgitte posing all pretty. I reckon she found a kilo of sand in her ear that night as it was very windy.

Later on we had drinks at a cafe just behind the dunes. it was wonderfull there with a beautifull view.

7 comments:

Gledwood said...

Perth looks particularly beautiful.

I'm hardly the expert on this but if I remember right it has a warm oceanic current drifting south whereas Sydney has a cold antarctic one coming north. That might explain why the sea looks so balmy (I don't know)
there was this documentary about the tip of south Africa where the warm and cold currents meat and it's meant to be literally 20C in one bit and 10C in another.
I know which I'd rather swim in!

ps did you hear about the 50km long shoal of jellyfish invading nothern Ireland and Scotland and killing 1,000,000 (farmed) salmon (in cages) at a time?!?

Anonymous said...

Ga je nog vuurwerk kopen eigenlijk?

Nicole said...

GLED - I don't know much about the sea currents but the water in Perth was surprisingly pleasant considering it's not in a bay, like Adelaide.

Nicole said...

ILSE - Fireworks are banned in Australia. You can only buy small ones during the year, but you must get a permit from the council and inform them where you plan to use them and you must also inform your neighbours. New Year's eve is at the height of summer here and the fire risks are too high for random fire crackers.

The really big fireworks are usually prepared by the city and there is a display in town and at certain locations throughout Adelaide for the New Year. Apart from that, the biggest and most fantastic fireworks show is for Australia Day (January 26th), which is also organised officially.

kees said...

A hat is only a proper Ozzie hat when it has corks dangling from the brim...

Vincent said...

@ Gled: Hmm, that's an interesting point because the water was warmer than I expected.

Didn't hear about the jellyfish. Do those eat other fish then?

@ Ilse: No, haven't been byuing fireworks for years now and it's not allowed here. People would set the whole country on fire here because it's so dry.

Vincent said...

@ Kees: There are not enough flies here to justify the corks. I'd rather not have them dangling around my head.