Saturday, February 16, 2008

Uberschnitzels and some trains

In the afternoon we went to the pub to have lunch with Michelle and Ryan and some of her friends. It was her birthday this week.

Michelle and Ryan ordered a chicken schnitzel (top) and a beef schnitzel (bottom). This gives you a good idea why Nicole and I long for a restaurant that serves European size portions. With stuff like this there is no room for starters or deserts. Having a nice meal with with friends is over quickly coz you can only have 1 course.

Around 15:00 we had to leave coz it was getting really warm outside. Tomorrow is s'posed to be even worse...

I was making a little test-track for my modeltrains. I designed a tiny track using my DRail software but it didn't fit right. So I made the calculations myself. Nice way of putting all my highschool maths to work.

I worked it out and was able to make this.

While I could I thought I would try making some close-ups of some of my trains. This is an older NS 1100 loco.

The newer NS 1700.

2 old-style oil cars from "Bon Zaandam".

And a tiny locomotive from Bayern, Germany.

Just to give you an idea about the size of these loco's. The scale is 1:160. This last little loco is about 3cm long.

5 comments:

Friðvin said...

Those are TEXAS portions. There are restaurants in Austin where I have NEVER ordered a delicious dessert for that same reason.

Friðvin said...

And I see a map of Australia under that geeky keyboard.

Vincent said...

@ Kona: Colleagues of mine went to America for a Microsoft meeting. There were lots of other software developers that all had to be fed. They gave each and every one of them a gigantic steak. I imagine it's like the beef schnitzel. It's not a very good thing when you think about it. Humans don't need that amount of meat. Less than half is sufficient.

It sure is. Say, are you a bit jealous of my new Mac keyboard perhaps? ;-P

Friðvin said...

The more I wrestle with Microsoft the more jealous I am of any Mac product.

Vincent said...

@ Kona: I never found myself wrestling with MS too much. I bought the Mac because of it's build. Everything in 1 screen. I was getting sick of a stupid tower under my desk. Mac design is just incredibly innovative. Being able to run Windows is required for what I do. This can now be done on the new Intel-based Macs. Also I was always in between mac lovers and PC lovers so having seen the PC side I thought I'd check out the Mac side as well. I have no regrets untill now but I did swear a fair bit while I was figuring out how things work on the Mac in the beginning.

Now, I think I'd favor a Mac over a PC.