Thursday, March 6, 2008

The funnelweb

Walking Mason the pason again. He likes walking through plants...

In Adelaide lots of wires are on poles. Phone lines, electricity and what not. I still have to get used to that image.

Along the way there was a tree with a couple of funnelweb spiders in it. Their holes don't look too inviting, do they?

I had another interview today. It was late in the afternoon and we had to go to play lawn bowls right after so we needed a quick bite. We went to the McD where I had a fantastic plain cheese burger.

here yours truly is doing a few practice bowls before the team arrives.

Some of mine and some of the other team. Can't be bothered explaining who's in which team, sorry. Oh, hold on, people holding a bottle are NOT in my team. yeah. Anyway, we all seem to be fascinated by something...

Here's my team mate Tony during the lottery draw after the bowls session.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you dream of funnelweb spiders?
Relax, they only live in eastern part of Au !

http://www.google.com/search?q=funnel+web+spider&rls=com.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7RNWE

vicky xx

Vincent said...

@ Vicky: No I didn't, I actualy slept very well.

I followed your link and found http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm which explains they DO live in SA as well! The web I saw could still maybe be from another spider coz I'm no expert but I reckon it's a funnelweb.

Gledwood said...

****! I thought at first the funnelweb was IN the hamburger... those spiders are evil personified: I would not put ANYTHING past them

please be careful. Don't let India-dog get bitten on the nose!

(surely wasn't that your biggest drawback of coming to Australia? those 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 litres of venom sloshing about the face glands of the native snakes, spiders, sea urchins, stonefish/lionfish/scorpionfish, stingrays etc.... and jellyfish (heard of that one that's the size of your little finger nail that "stings" you painlessly until you have the most excruciating heart attack half an hour later and most ALWAYS die?

hey I really hope the employment situation sorts itself soon bloody hell you're hardly the world's biggest drifters and wasters if neither or of course preferably BOTH of you cannot get a proper job in double quick time there really is no justice

take it easy
;->...

Vincent said...

@ Gled: Actually the funnelweb's poison only affects primates (humans, apes) really. Other mammels aparently have a really big resistance to their venom. Aren't we lucky?