Sunday, July 13, 2008

Chocolate @ No 5

Tip: Do NOT put the cheese in between two slices of ham when grilling your sandwich. For who doesn't get it: The cheese will melt and stay liquid between the ham instead of melting on/in to your sandwich. This is my favourite plate by the way. I've had it ever since I moved out for the first time. I believe it's been mine since I was a kid. I also have a bigger version.

Nicole and I went driving through the hills today (See last picture for details). There were a few other villages we wanted to see. We drove through Aldgate and are now very fond of that place. Somewhere in between we ended up in Hahndorf, at a place called "Chocolate @ no 5". This place has put Hahndorf back on our personal map. Shown above is my cappuccino.

You see, Hahndorf was losing it's appeal for us. Over the past seven years a few quality places (like the VERY good Scottish restaurant) have disappeared and more tourist traps have opened.

This place is now totally a reason for us to go to Hahndorf again. Check out this cake. It's a chocolate hazelnut cake. It was fantastic. Not too big, not too much, not too rich, not too powerful. Perfect. I tried Nicole's hot chocolate and for the first time I liked it. The thing is it should be made with water. You add a bit of milk and chocolate. Frankly I thought it was like chocolate tea. In Holland it's made with 100% milk and i never liked it...

The place is an old cottage but inside it is decorated with nice modern touches. Not too many tables so you have enough space around you. A variety of seats but all comfortable,

They have a lot of chocolaty stuff which you order at the counter.

Details.

This is the cottage. I do think they should make it more inviting though. It's not directly clear what's inside when you walk past and from the outside you can not see how nice it is inside. And just letting people know you got chocolate doesn't cut it. I hope they'll stick around for a while.

After Hahndorf we drove on in to the hills. We drove through the basket range which is beautiful. I saw wild wallabies in between the apple trees!

On the way back we drove through Summer town and stopped at Aunty Bets. Been there before, nice place but often a weird crowd for some reason. We feel like we're the only humans and the rest are all aliens. It's probably us...

After Karin's cottage pie yesterday I felt like another one and I had one before here and it was good so I ordered one again. We had a nice view.

This map shows all the places we visited in the bottom right corner. We live in the top left corner. Adelaide is squashed in between the sea and the hills.

(See the abbreviation of North-East road? - NERd ;-)

4 comments:

Sneezer said...

is it also the area where you guys would like to live?

the chocolate looks delicious.

Vincent said...

@ Exp: Yeah. Aldgate, Bridgewater and Verdun are our favourites.

kees said...

I think it would be nice living in the hills. Also a bit cooler in summertime? How long does it take to get to work from there (by car / public transport)?

Vincent said...

@ Kees: So do we. There is lots of space there. Something we never had in A'dam really.

My manager told me today that when he cycles into the hills during peak summer, the temperature can drop by 10 degrees C.

It would take longer to get to work, that's for sure but that's OK. There are frequent bus rides through the hils so I'm not too worried.