Friday, November 16, 2007

The Central Market and the beach

Today we hit the road around noon I believe to go to the Central Market. This is a market with permanent little stalls that sell everything you need. More pictures will follow in a bit.

The elections are coming up in Australia. I hope that John Howard will be kicked right out of parlement because that man is just as evil as George Bush. Kate Ellis is obviously running for some function, I haven't made a study of the political structure here yet. I do know that they at least have a system where there are several parties who can be voted on instead of the 2-3 party systems in the USA or the UK.

Anyway, I made this photo out of the car again coz I keep seeing her face 300 times a day. Must say, she does look kinda cute ;-)
I now wonder if that lightpole has a funny shape because:
A) It was so damn hot today, or
B) It's because Kate Ellis is damn hot, or
C) Because my phone is not exactly hot.
D) Your eyes are frozen (only applicable to people in the northern hemisphere)

What do you think is the correct answer?

Driving into the city. Overhere "city" means the centre of Adelaide.

When we arrived at the Central Market we first needed a drink. You have to drink a lot with these temperatures you know. As I am writing this, Nicole's father is in bed with a sunstroke, 38C fever. Staying hydrated is serious business in this country these days.

There was a delicatessen stall with German, Croatian and Dutch things for sale. I bought "Chocolade vlokken" (Choco flakes, you put this on a slice of bread). They also sell liqorice (drop), breakfast cake (ontbijtkoek), Droste chocolates, speculaascookies and lots of other goodies.

A random vegetable shop at the Central Market. It has more contents of way better quality than any dutch supermarket will give you!

More vegetables, hmmmmmmmmm.

The other side of the German/Croatian/Dutch delicatessen stall.

Gavin dropped by straight after he finished work. He starts early (I think ;-) and finishes about 15:00. Here he's posing in his working uniform.

In Australia you can (with restrictions of course) have your own custom license plate as long as it's decent and not taken. I have seen some cool ones and I'll try to take a picture if I remember. This one says "MYPOP50". POP is grandpa or father.

Mason the dog, Karin, Nicole and Gavin walking towards the beach after we ate fish and chips (pretty good one too! No grates!).

They went up the jetty but I just had to go into the water with my feet. I walked with my new Crocs shoes into the sea and I loved it.

There was an old-style sailingship lying about 1 kilometre away of the jetty.

Karin, Gaving+Mason and Nicole standing on the jetty.

The view from the beach onto the dunes. We call them dunes but compared to the Dutch dunes they're nothing...

Quite a few people fish from the end of the jetty, some even for their daily meal. Adelaide has a fair number of jetty's so that's a lot of people catching fish and crabs. To not clean out the whole sea in one season there are restrictions on the ammount that can be caught.

We watched the sunset and it got dark soon while we were leaving.

We went to get some money out at the mall close by. The sign for the main shops is kinda big.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Calve Peanutbutter?

Vincent said...

Hmm, good one G, didn't see that to be honest. Have to ask next time.

But ehm.. why this question? Are you thinking of coming over? ;-P

Anonymous said...

Grates?

Vincent said...

@ Danny: Good one. I heard it but can't find it anywhere on google. I might be very wrong there. Cheers.