Thursday, November 15, 2007

The new iMac

We did quite a lot today but unfortunately I forgot or wasn't able to make any pictures of those events myself. I pulled the phoneline into the flat together with Tony, Nic's dad, very happy to get that done. And in the evening we had a very nice and relaxed evening at the Daniel O'Connel Irish pub down town with Gianna, her mom Anna and Stephen, Caroline and Lachlan (pronounced "Lochlan" ;-)

Check out Nicole's blog here for pictures of the mentioned events!

Today I picked up my new computer. It's a brandnew iMac. The photo isn't showing because of my shit camera but it's a beautifull machine! For the geeks: 24" / 2.8GHz Dual Core Extreme / 2GB / 500GB. However, when we fired it up at home it wouldn't start. Aparently the 1GB extra RAM that was put in was faulty, after we took it out it worked fine. The shop will replace my faulty RAM tomorrow. It was a bit scary though...

OS X, the operating system that apple machines use is kinda new to me. I'm getting familiar with it rather quick though. It has some really cool features like the backup tool "Time machine" and also "Spaces" which enables a max. of 25 or even 36 different desktops. A feature that Linux/Unix has had for ages but I don't know if MS Windows now has this in Vista.

I'll probably write more about my iMac during the next days. I still have to get Parallels. This is virtualization software so I can run several versions of MS Windows on the iMac.

When we went to our car I noticed a little flying friend had used it as a landingspot.

7 comments:

kees said...

I'm glad to see you finally found religion!
Don't worry about Parallels; I've managed to work M$-free since 1981...

Anonymous said...

mac forever!!!!!!!!!!

Vincent said...

@ Kees & SW: If Windows can be run on Macs, why hasn't Apple released OS X for IBM's? Same hardware these days. That way they become more competitive as well...

It's funny how so many people seem to think in "extremist" ways about their computers. Be it Mac fans or IBM fans. I feel priviledged not to be one of those *grin*

I like to broaden my horizon and try different things. Besides that I need Windows for my work so...

Anonymous said...

Gratz on the new iMac, I'm sooo envious. :P I'll get one as well when finances allow. :)

Vincent said...

@ Gim: Hey mate, nice to see you here! I tell you, it's all worth the money sofar! Can't wait to get a connection here and try out WoW. I'm getting withdrawelo symptoms!

Anonymous said...

Are Aussie Mac's cheaper than Dutch Mac's Vince?

Jolanda

(really enjoying your blog)

Vincent said...

@ Jolanda: Nah, not really. I think they're about the same. Apple stuff is only cheaper in the USA I'm afraid...

Glad you like the blog :-)