Sunday, November 9, 2008

My World of Warcraft has ended

I cancelled my World of Warcraft subscription this weekend. It has taken me a while to get to this point. It makes me rather sad. I started playing this game in Februari 2005 when it came out in Europe. Most people will not understand that a computer game can have this big an impact on people. That is because World of Warcraft is not just a computer game. It's a virtual world but behind the characters are real people. You play the game together. You need eachother to accomplish certain tasks and you help eachother out. On certain occasions up to 40 people are required to reach a common goal. This means that 40 -real- people have to get together in this virtual world at a certain time, and commit to completing the task ahead for sometimes up to six hours. During this time, each player has it's own role and needs to perform well or the whole group might fail. You can see how there is a whole 'social' thing going on. So yeah, it is not, just, a computer game. And maybe you will understand why a World of Warcraft player can not just 'leave' to answer a phonecall or go to the pub. There are sometimes 39 people waiting for him. Not a computer but 39 REAL people...

To all my old guildies I simply want to say: Thanks for the many, many hours of fun team work guys! :-)

These are my characters who will now remain untouched untill removed from the server:

Ningirsu. My very first character, a druid. The funnest one to play.

Ningirso, a rogue. A violent little fella.

Ningirsi, a mage. He likes playing with fire. He's already dead so there's no danger in that for him self ;-)

Ningsor. He was going to be my tank-warrior. He's tough as nails but never made it big unfortunately.

Ningadin, a Paladin. My only female and last created character. After seven male characters you want to look at something sexier I guess ;-)

Ningeling, my warlock. Only started playing this one again after I entered Australia and discovered how much fun that could be. Very powerfull little guy he is.

Ningning, a priest. Never had a chance.

And Clerk, my banking toon. He used to control the banking for my guild and the other three guilds that the guild is in an alliance with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, man ! That's really something !

Still, you did great.

Greetings from a cold and wacky Holland !

X, Sanne