Tuesday, November 11, 2008

One year in Australia

So, it has been one year now. It doesn't feel like one year at all. Really it feels like three weeks... Do I miss anything? Not really. Because of this blog and being able to chat with family and friends on the internet I don't feel like I'm far away. I most certainly don't feel like I left anything behind that I will never see again.

I tried to think of all the things I have accomplished and discovered this year. It's probably way more than this. The thing that I'm most happy with is that I didn't end up in some kind of social isolation. I have met new people and made new friends quite easily.

Yeah, we landed pretty alright I think.

Here are some pictures of various things of various levels of importance:

The beach. It's a fantastic thing to have so close.

We like it a lot and we go see it often.

Amsterdam beer.

It's just good.

Ace ice cream from Cibo. I never need ANY other ice cream in my life.

We got our internet connection back. It took a bit of effort but it's all coming through these wires.

Because of this I can thankfully have chats with my family. It makes living so far apart a little bit easier.

We live much closer to nature than would ever be possible in Amsterdam.

I like walking around Adelaide.

There are still so many streets to discover.

I got myself a nice job.

Now also with a bigger desk!

We discovered a winery called Uleybury with very nice people that make sensational food.

In a sensational location too I have to say.

I got my driver's license. Very important in this country.

I play more sports. I like getting my ass kicked by Karin in Tennis (and sometimes by Stephen) :-)

I don't like getting my ass kicked by grannies at Lawn bowl. But I like the sport.

And we found a nice Irish pub to hang out and have our Monday night dinners.

So today I bought all my colleagues (and Nicole) a doughnut to celebrate that this poor little immigrant has made it this far :-)

15 comments:

marian said...

ja alweer een jaar weg uit ons kikkerlandje, wij zijn blij dat het jullie goed gaat daar aan de andere kant van de aardbol, en waar zouden we zijn zonder skype en internet, met deze communicatie middelen zijn er geen afstanden meer. hoewel straks met sinterklaas, kerst en oud en nieuw, jullie toch missen!!
gr, ma en pa.

Vincent said...

@ Ma: Ja, Nicole en ik hebben het af en toe al over de volgende kerst. We hopen die in Alkmaar door te brengen en oud en nieuw in Amsterdam. We willen rond die tijd zo'n 5 weken vrij nemen zodat we 4 volle weken in Nederland kunnen zijn. Dus daar kan je je al vast op verheugen :-)

marian said...

da's een mooi bericht, kunnen we naar uitkijken.
gr, ma.

Anonymous said...

Hey gaaf:-))

CRAIG said...

WOW I can't believe it's been a year already!

Friðvin said...

你好
I learned a new word at Nicole's blog!

Anyway, one year? That's amazing. Hard to believe but I do remember it was November.

kees said...

time flies like an arrow, fruitflies like a banana.

Come back, all is forgiven :-)
The tax people have forgotten about you and the murder has been put in the 'look again next century' file.

Vincent said...

@ Kees: No 8-P

Anonymous said...

You've achieved so much in the last year, we are very proud of you, and happy to have you ( and Nic) here. We wish that all good things come to you in the time to come, so enjoy and be proud!
Viki & Tony xx

Vincent said...

@ Vicky: Thank you :-)

munchie said...

Whaddayamean "sometimes" beaten at tennis by Stephen... that sounds like a challenge.

:-)

Anonymous said...

hi vince i liked your retrospective on the first year in australia

Vincent said...

@ Steve: Bring it on!

@ Collins: Hi! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Vince,
I just recently started following your blog again; at first it was mostly tech & DIY which frankly bored me, but now it's pretty amusing.
Belated congrats on your anniversary; we look forward to seeing you here next year (if we don't get to you first!)

Vincent said...

@ Danny: For me it's the opposite, it seems so boring without DIY! hehe. Am I reading between the lines that you are thinking of coming over here some day soon-ish?